id to vote

Make sure you have ID ahead of May elections

With local elections taking place on 4 May for both Parish Councils and East Herts District Council, for the first time voters will need to show photo ID at the polling station to receive a ballot paper.

Accepted forms of photo ID include a UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Commonwealth passport; a UK or EEA drivers’ licence; and some concessionary travel passes, such as an older person’s bus pass or an Oyster 60+ card. Voters will be able to use expired ID if they are still recognisable from the photo.

For those that do not have an accepted form of ID, you can now apply for a new form of free ID that can be used at elections, known as a Voter Authority Certificate.

Applications can be submitted online at Application forms are also available to download and print. Paper application forms must be returned to Electoral Services, East Herts Council, Pegs Lane, Hertford, Herts, SG13 8EQ. Those that have an accepted form of ID already do not need to apply.

The deadline to apply for free ID before the May elections is 5pm on Tuesday 25 April. Applicants must be registered to vote, and will need to provide their date of birth, National Insurance number, and a photograph with their application.If you need any help with applying for free ID or want to request an application form, you can contact the electoral services team on 01279 655261.

We are asking all voters to check whether they have an accepted form of ID and, if not, to apply for the certificate.We know from research that the vast majority of people already have the ID they need. Those voters only need to remember to bring it with them on polling day. However, anyone who doesn’t currently have an accepted form of ID can now apply for free voter ID.